Monday, April 30, 2007

With great power comes great responsibility...

...but does it work in reverse? I hope so. I've just been given 'great responsibility' and I could do with 'great power' to have fun with as compensation!

What am I waffling about? On Saturday, Agent Grey asked me to be his Best Man at his wedding to 'Muffin. To say I was stunned and unable to parry would have been an understatement! I'm greatly honoured; now all I have to do is not cock things up.

I've had a look at a few websites already and I had no idea that the BM dealt with so much! I thought it was just rings, speeches and stag night but not so...

For example:

  • Plan and pay for bachelor party w/groomsmen.
  • Rent and pay for a tux, and go for fittings.
  • Attend rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
  • Help bring and boxes to ceremony and reception location.
  • Help the groom dress and make sure he gets to the church on time.
  • Keeps the bride’s wedding ring until the ring exchange. You may be asked to hold both rings or none at all if the ring bearer has them.
  • Sign the marriage license.
  • The couple will give you a sealed envelope with the officiant’s or church’s fee in it. You will give this the priest/officiant before the ceremony.
  • Sit to the groom’s left at the reception.
  • Dances with the maid of honour.
  • Make a first toast to the bride and groom. This is usually done before dinner but in some cases right after.
  • Arranges transportation or personally drives the bride and groom to the hotel or the airport.
  • Collects and returns all formalwear rentals on time.
  • Help maid of honour bring gifts to the bride and groom’s house.
And this is one of the shorter lists!

Crumbs.....


Blogging on and off since January 2004.

9 comments:

Tiagen Furelli said...

Ok, I can shorten that list;
Stag night
Eat with us the day before (covers #3)
Be Sarah's Lackey (covers # 4, 10, 12 and 13)
Dad has hired drivers (covers car related ones)
Dad has hired suits (covers all suit related ones)

Wow, that only leaves keeping Grey calm, dressing him (kinky), carrying the rings, speaches, drikies and handing envelopes about.

Hmm, we are still massively grateful - for everthing!

chin up, if in doubt ask Beth. (Grey and I have absolved all responsibility!)

Tiagen Furelli said...

Oh yes, and Yey!!!!

:) :) :) ;)

(listen to me ramble / gush / stress / plan over coffee)

Stuart said...

Hey Brad, if I can do the best man gig I'm pretty sure you'll do fine - the hardest part is probably the speech, get that right and you're home free. Oh, and remember those rings, I hear they come in handy...

A lot of the stuff on your list you won't necessarily have to do - I didn't sign the license (that's usually best done by an elderly relative).

Oh, and my best to Adam and Amy. :)

SixFoot Hobbit said...

Cheers folks. Thanks for (1) the votes of confidence and (2) pointing out that I'll be a minion of Sarah for the most part.

Tiagen Furelli said...

you could do it besides that, which is why Adam picked you! But Sarah likes to have minions...

A Whole Can of Plot said...

Must remember not to stand on Bradley's feet when dancing...oh yes. And know what's going on. Knowing what's going in is very important...

A Whole Can of Plot said...

(and huzzah! Minions!)...ahhem.

Teabringer comments that you should always remember you are just a second-tier minion.

Maybe with time...

Tiagen Furelli said...

Adam says he has been dressing himself for 23odd years, so he doesn't think he will have any problems. That's another one off the list.

Although it bears mentioning that Adam is also desperately trying to shorten his 'to-do' lists. Shirking responisiblity I call it.

Bodes badly.

SixFoot Hobbit said...

I think he's shortening his to do list to make the way clear for one very important item of responsibility...